Perfect your whisking skills with these cute and colourful treats. They look super-impressive, but are surprisingly simple to make.
4 egg whites.
225g caster sugar.
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 scraped vanilla bean (this is yummier).
Food dye paste (be sure to use paste not liquid dye as it doesn’t dilute the mixture).
1. Place egg whites in a CLEAN and DRY mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until very stiff.
2. Hold the egg whites over your head. If they do not move, you are ready for step three. If they do, sorry.
3. On a medium–high speed, gradually add in caster sugar, mixing well after each addition to ensure that the sugar has dissolved.
4. When the mixture becomes thick and glossy, separate into separate bowls and add desired colouring.
5. Place into a piping bag and pipe small dollops about 5cm apart.
6. Bake in a preheated 150 degree oven for 15 minutes, not opening the door. Turn the oven off and leave in for a further 15 minutes.
7. Place in cool geometric pattern and eat.