The latest food hybrid, the Wonut, is a mouth-watering combination of donuts and waffles. But here’s a secret: it’s super, super easy to make. There will be no lining up for three hours to get a taste of these bad boys.
For the chai spice:
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Wonuts
1 packet gourmet thick style waffles
3/4 cup castor sugar
1. Measure out all chai spices and place into an empty spice shaker or small container. Give it a shake.
2. Remove waffles from packaging without anyone seeing (you made them from scratch…obviously).
3. Cut the waffles into neat equal squares, following just outside the grid of the waffle to allow each donut to have a fillable crevice. Each should look like a noughts and crosses board.
4. Heat enough oil in a heavy-based saucepan to reach about 2-3cm deep. Test the heat of the oil with a piece of spare waffle.
5. In a small saucepan, fry off the waffle pieces while at the same time, placing sugar and chai spices (enough to your taste) into a wide bowl.
6. When the waffles are golden, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain off, and place immediately into the sugar. Toss them, turn them, until each Wonut is covered with spicy sugar.
7. Strategically place on a groovy plate, next to a bunch of flowers, a cool-covered book, precisely placed fork and manicured