Forget KFC, we’re releasing the secret spices for FJFC. Next time your pals come over, you can whip this one out and impress them all with your skills. Or just cook it for yourself. Who needs friends when you’ve got fried chicken?
4 chicken thighs on the bone, skin on
5 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 brown onion, whole
1 whole head of garlic
small handful of peppercorns
2 tbsp salt
200g plain flour
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
large pinch of salt and pepper
vegetable oil for deep frying
1 cup plain aioli
1 tbsp harissa paste
chilli and basil to serve
1. In a large pot of water, add brown sugar, whole onion, whole garlic, peppercorns and salt. Bring to the boil then set aside to cool for one hour.
2. Place chicken in the cooled marinade and leave to chill for 24 hours (this step is worth the wait).
3. Heat oven to 200C. Place flour, spices, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour buttermilk into
a separate bowl.
4. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk, then flour and spice mixture.
5. Heat oil to 170C, or until a piece of bread sizzles to temperature when placed directly into it.
6. Gently lower chicken pieces into oil away from the body. Cook for 9 minutes until golden brown, turning if necessary. Transfer to baking tray with absorbent paper and finish in oven for 12 minutes.
7. Place aioli and harissa into dipping bowl (this is spicy hot!), serve alongside chicken with chopped basil and chilli.
8. Enjoy in caveman style eating technique.